What Charles & Anna Taught Me About Love

Burn Bright by Patricia Briggs


Burn Bright, the latest installment in Patricia Brigg’s Alpha and Omega series, was finally published last week. Like many fans, I eagerly awaited this release. It took me two days to read. While I still liked it (I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads), it wasn’t as strong as the other books. Nevertheless, I still highly recommend this series to those who like werewolf stories.

I’ve been a huge fan of Brigg’s writing since I read her Mercy Thompson series which is also set in the same universe. I like the Mercy Thompson books a little bit better in terms of plot and adventure. But, in terms of romance, my heart is all for Charles and Anna.

So, I thought I’d share some scenes in the book to celebrate this couple’s love for each other.

Haven’t read the Alpha & Omega series yet? Get them on Book Depository!
  1. Cry Wolf
  2. Hunting Ground
  3. Fair Game
  4. Dead Heat
  5. Burn Bright

Love Lessons from Burn Bright by Patricia Briggs

1) Love intensely, but never smother. This scene is at the start of the book. Anna doesn’t feel quite settled in Montana, and Charles is reflecting on her mood.
She was looking for a purpose in her life.
Us, said Brother Wolf. We should be her purpose as she is ours. Then, when Charles disapproved of the wolf’s narrow-mindedness, Brother Wolf offered, But if she wants something more, we need to provide it for her.
That, Charles was in wholehearted agreement with.

2) Champion each other’s strength, while still having each other’s back. Anna is vulnerable in this scene. She was forced to remember an ugly time in her life where she was abused. She knows she’s stronger now and doesn’t want Charles to become overprotective.
“Stop it,” Anna said firmly. “I can take care of myself.”
“Of course you can,” he said, surprised. “That doesn’t mean I can’t do it, too.”
3) To love is to put the happiness of the other before your own desires. Charles and Anna want to have sex but they’re in a house full of werewolves who will be able to overhear them. Since Charles knows that Anna is uncomfortable with other people hearing them, he tells her that he’s willing to wait until they find a place more private.
“Cherish” was a word often used in traditional wedding ceremonies that Anna didn’t think many people understood. They should observe Charles for a few days; they might learn something. Charles was a man who knew how to cherish the ones he loved. 

Anna Latham and Charles Cornick
Taken from i.pinimg.com via Pinterest

4) Love wholly- the good, the bad, and the ugly. This quote is actually from Asil. But I’m still counting it in because it’s woke.
‘If I could change this or that, if I could pick what I want and discard other things, I could love this one.’ Such a love is pale and weak—and doomed to failure”

5) Support one another no matter what. Anna wants to do something that will save lives/make the situation safer, but it could potentially endanger her. Instead of stopping her, Charles supports her.
He knew it was not his job to make her smaller, safer. It was his job to lift her up as high as she wanted to soar—and to kill anything that tried to interfere. 

6) Grow together. Anna realized that she could get one step closer to finding her purpose in life by exploring and learning new things. She decided to learn Japanese. Without asking him to, this is what Charles/Brother Wolf thought:
We will learn Japanese, said Brother Wolf.
Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs
Taken from th05.deviantart.net via Pinterest

All the Feels

Every time I read a book from the Alpha & Omega series, I feel a rush of positive vibes. It’s because I know that I’m going to be spending time with characters that I really enjoy catching up with. I really hope we get more books in this series. I don’t want it to end and it seems like there are a lot of threads that need to be tied up, still.

I’m definitely down for more books! Tell me, who is your favorite fictional couple? Let’s discuss in the comments.

Patricia Briggs's Burn Bright


Comments